Wednesday 10 December 2014

Using B+W



How I Did This

I took the photographs using the 5*4 field camera out in Church Square, I have gone out in a group of friends and we have all helped each other with setting up the camera and the focusing. To make things easier for ourselves once we set the camera up in the location we wanted we taped some masking tape down on the floor so that when the stranger came to pose for us we could ask them to stand in the box so the background would be how we like it and we did not have to rearrange the camera and the focus would stay relatively the same with just minor adjustments needed.

Why I Did This

I went out with hopes I would find people with interesting characteristic faces, and I have; the people I have chose I think have interesting and different faces. Although I rated potential strangers on a 'scariness scale' and dare not ask certain people I managed to find interesting people.

What Would I Change?

If I were to restart this project I think I would explore further afield because different types of people will be found in different locations.

What Do I Think of This

I particularly prefer the photograph of the college student (20*24 print) as his facial expression draws me in to his face and the details in his hair stand out because of the sharp focus. I also like the way the background is over exposed as this means all the attention is on him and there is no distractions in the background.

Developing

The developing process this project seems easier than when I did it for the Landscapes project, I think this is because I am more comfortable with the process and being locked in the room in the pitch black. Once again we struggled to find people who could lift the dev tank into a hot bath so that it would be hot enough to use but we managed well enough. Although I think I have increased sensitivity to some of the chemicals because the stop bath makes my nose burn and I can't breathe, so after the second time this happened I missed the stop bath out because it was burning me.

The Negatives

I think that my negatives came out very well exposed and contrasty enough to get some very sharp prints from. The negatives do not look washed out and flat but the blacks and whites can easily be distinguished in all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment