Thursday 16 April 2015

Montaging


Creating my montages was quite fun because I had an idea in my head of creating some advertisements and I continued on from my Product workshop in which I had photographed some cans of coke. I continued this and photographed the cans again with more positions and lighting in order to get the least amount of distracting reflections on the can.

Fanta

My first montage I created was for Fanta Orange. At first I laid out the cans so that the logo appeared to be wrapped around them as I found that cutting out the logo from an image of the can made the writing look curved (see First Attempt below). However this did not look successful because there was also the writing from the cans and it all appeared very squished and cluttered. I changed my composition so that the cans and the Fanta logo were separate, I did keep the same curved writing though as I think the effect helps link the viewer back to the cans and it has more aesthetic than the typical typographies. I added in some images of leaves because I thought the cans looked odd appearing to float and the bottoms of the cans could not be cut out properly because of the angle of the shots, I then tied in the leaves with the writing and made them appear to be falling down across the page. I still thought that the whole image looked awkward with the objects just floating so I used the colour picker to select an orange from the can and used that colour to create a background across the bottom. I also added in a photograph of an orange that I had found on an image search so that viewers could get an understanding of the flavour without having to look closely, however then I added in the same can typography of the word "orange" so it was even more obvious.

First Attempt


Final Outcome




During the process of creating this montage I tried to take a screenshot (on a mac thats cmd shift 4) instead however I miss pressed the buttons and ended up with this result :



I did not know what I had done and how to fix it as there was nothing I could "Undo" i started panicking that I had broken my entire document so my friend went to ask the technician and he instantly knew how to fix it and I was so grateful for it. Turned out I had turned off the colour channels by pressing cmd 4, which means when i tried to take a screenshot i did not press the shift button.



Coca Cola


I followed a similar style to my first montage and placed my cans on the side of my document, I wanted to fill in the space around it so I went online and found a coke logo which was surrounded by some bottle tops. I placed this into my document and used the cloning tools to paste more bottle tops across the top and I think that this adds more interest to the montage. I also added a colour selected background because I did not like the way the objects floated.


Without logo



Final Outcome


Coca Cola Cherry


I wanted to create a set of the different coca cola flavours so I used the flavoured cherry can in which I tried to set the composition the same, however I found I had not photographed the can in a laying down position. I went online to find the logo for the coca cola cherry, and decided I was going to do what I had done for the Fanta and add in a symbol of the flavour, so I added in a cherry but still it looked unconnected and did not flow. I found the last element to the montage by trying to cut out some of the water droplets from the photograph of the can, they did not come out as perfect bubbles however and came out as red splodge's. I found I liked this effect when I pasted them into the montage and one spot lined up perfectly with the image of the cherry, then I just added in a few more selections and made it look as though they were exploding off the cherries.






No comments:

Post a Comment