Thursday 29 January 2015

Still Life


We had our first lecture on still life, we were told about a change in copyright laws, I looked into it more after the lesson and found there was allowances for students being made (there was more changes but I looked into the eduction section as this applies to me)

"Researchers and students were previously allowed to copy limited extracts of literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works for non-commercial research and private study. They are now able to copy a limited amount of a sound recording, film or broadcast."  Here (gov.uk)
  1. “Artistic works” are defined by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 as including a graphic work, photograph, sculpture or collage, with "graphic work" further defined to include paintings, drawings, diagrams, maps, charts, plans, engravings, etchings, lithographs, woodcuts or similar." Here (DeMontfort University Library)

I will also need to give acknowledgements to authors or artists, and state the name or description of the work. 

Similarly I could also password protect my blog so that only my tutors have access, this would mean my blog is an educational and private research blog, however I do not want to do this because I want my work getting viewed, no point being a photographer if nobody knows I am one. From my understanding of the term my blog is a "non-commercial research or private study" blog (but I am going to need some more classification on this) so the first quote will apply to my work, which I think gives me allowance to use photographs in my blog.



We then did a task about what items we would need to set up our own studio, working in a small group we came up with a small list of things:

  • Decent sized space (Dependant on the type of photography, windows/blinds, electricity)
  • Studio Equipment (Lights, tripods, stands, light coverings, reflectors, diffusers)
  • Backdrops
  • Camera Equipment (Camera, tethering cable, light meter, wireless triggers)
  • Electronics (computer/mac, kitchen area, stereo, model styling room)
  • Insurance
  • Networking (models, assistants, stylists, clients)
  • Props (most can be found in charity shops or DIYed)
We also came up with a list for our "Bits and Bobs" section, which is a collection of items that could come in handy that don't directly relate to photography:
  • scissors
  • cotton buds
  • tweezers
  • bull clips
  • hair clips / bobby pins / bobbles
  • pegs
  • white/blue tac
  • paint brushes
  • tape

I have also read while researching that a photographer should always carry aspirins and feminine care products just in case of emergency, not just for the photographer but available for all the people in the shoot.


Also in the lecture we were introduced to photographing the concept of a smell or taste as it these that make the product desirable. Tips for this is making the food look as though it has just been served, this could mean using smoke for hot food and water droplets for cold.

In the lecture it was also noted that moving food makes the food look more appetizing and that a darker photograph adds mystery to the food and makes it more appealing. It also doesn't hurt to "cheat" the food styling, for example using tape and blue tac to hold food in place, if the customers cant see it then it doesn't matter.

It also gave me some questions to think about when shooting commercial :

Who is my target audience?
Who is my client?
Whats the purpose of the photograph?
What would my budget be?
How would the final display look? (what size, where)
Is there going to be text included? Have I left room for this?

No comments:

Post a Comment