Tuesday 27 January 2015

What's it like using colour ?


Shooting

For this section of the project we are shooting colour 120 film with a Hasselblad camera, I am going to continue with working out in Church Square asking strangers as they go past (or trying to anyway). When I got my first negatives back from the store I was confused at first because I was not sure how they would manage to print all the colours as not all the colours are there on the negative and the unlike black and white where the tones get reversed the colour on the negative changes when it is printed.

Printing

Inside the darkroom is a lot different to the black and white darkroom I am used too, the first time I have been in the colour one is this week and I have struggled with navigating the room and having to line the paper up in the complete darkness, I am hoping that this will become easier as I become more accustomed to the room and how it works. I also struggled to come to terms with the filters to remove the different colour casts that can appear on the prints because of the negatives.

First Shoot

This image is a quick view of my first contact sheet from the first roll of film I have used, I think these images have worked technically very well as they have all been exposed correctly and they have all came out, however for the idea I had for the shoot I do not think they were successful because the subject is too small in the frame. For my next shoot I am going to use an extension tube as well as a prism viewfinder, this will mean the subjects will appear closer in my next shoot and the prism will mean I do not have to look for people my height (small) or smaller than me as I would not have too shoot from the hip and be looking up at people which can sometimes be quite an unflattering look.


No comments:

Post a Comment