Monday 2 February 2015

Wine Splashes (sort of)


Influence

http://ibakeheshoots.com/impress-friends-splash-photography/
Image from "I Bake He Shoots"
This photograph I found on the website "I Bake He Shoots" and it inspired me to create my own photograph of this as I was already experimenting with splash work.

My Outcomes


Not quite the same as I set up on the kitchen counter at home using a table cloth pinned up to the cupboards as a backdrop and only used a remotely triggered flash gun to light this scene. Other lights that can be seen reflected in the glass are the kitchen lights behind the camera and the window light. 

I used Powerade in my glass to get the blue liquid and I had my assistant drop frozen ice cubes into the glass from above, the ice cubes had green food colouring in as I found that when the ice cubes could not be seen inside the glass it looked a little strange as to why the glass is splashing whereas with the inclusion of ice cubes it made more sense. I experimented with using plain ice cubes, food colouring ice cubes, milk ice cubes and diluted juice ice cubes however the milk and most of the coloured ice cubes had not frozen overnight so they could not be used.

I also found that because of my framing the left over splashes were contaminating the background (as seen in the green glass photograph) and for my next shoot like this I would have to change my framing so the bottom of the glass was not visible.

I like the idea of continuing this but I do not like the outcomes from my shoot as they look too messy and unprofessional, I am going to experiment more with this idea and I think I am going to change colour of the liquid and dilute it so that the ice cubes become more visible, plus i am going to look at adding something to the centre of the ice cube so that it is more visible as well. I will also need to rearrange the backdrop so that in the glass reflection the edge of the counter is not visible (the black curved line is the floor of my kitchen and the white underneath is the tablecloth on the background).


No comments:

Post a Comment