Tuesday 14 January 2014

Project Evaluation


The aim of this project was to teach us about working in the studio, to learn this I have taken a set of portraits with a winter theme, as it is cold outside so I have plenty of available models. I have used both soft-box’s and a beauty dish while shooting with a Hasselblad camera.

My main artistic influences were; Lutz Mahnhardt as he has shot glamour fashion portraits, Dan Newton because of his work with winter the theme, Luigi Gariglio as he has used a white background and the shadow detail is not too harsh but still noticeable and Valerie Belin because the lighting she has used draws the attention in to the models facial features.

I feel like this project has been a success, as I feel confident in using both the studio and the camera. My prints have been successful as the main focus is on the face yet I have incorporated fashion within the portraits.

To improve my work I would maybe use a model who I am more familiar with as the quality of the photographs is way less than it should have been as I was uncomfortable shooting him, I think the fact I was also new to the studio and camera did not help.

In the studio I was using a Hasselblad camera, which I have never used before so I struggled at first with focusing the images but I managed to get focus in most of my images. I have worked in the studio before however I had not worked with beauty dishes or some of the different lighting setups.

I did not encounter any major problems in this project although a few little easily sorted problems did crop up along the way. The first was focusing, I struggled at first with getting the correct focus but with some practice behind the lens I got it working another was the printing website not accepting my payment method but I got them sent of with a friend and everything was sorted.

I have developed my skills in the studio by getting introduced to new lights and lighting techniques. I have also learnt about the Hasselblad camera and have started to understand how to set it up with a digital back and to use it.

I think this project has challenged my ability to photograph new people as I photographed somebody who I had never met; this came with the realisation that I would need to work on my confidence when working with models because I would be working with new people when working professionally.


If I was going to do this project again or even continue in the future, I think I would prefer to work with models I know and have the friendship level with however I also want to push my self and work with new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment